Where Evil Lives

Where Evil Lives
One of the Greatest Horror Films of the 80's

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Greetings Fellow Filmmakers,

Welcome to "Whacked World." I am Indio (Stephen A Maier).Todays blog discusses my film "Where Evil Lives." Distributed by Troma and hitting the streets on 09/11/12 thru Amazon.The reason I start off this new blog page with this topic is because this movie is a perfect example of  how "Green" Filmmakers rush in to make a film without doing there homework in advance.This movie was shot over 20 years ago in Stuart Florida. I was finishing up my Senior year at The School of Visual Arts in Manhattan.Like many senior students.I was milling over what I will do for my thesis project.
    I had shot several short film projects in South Florida (my home state) with up and coming filmmakers Kevin Nunan and Richard L Fox (one of the top 1st Assistant Directors in Hollywood today).They were itching to do a full length feature horror film in Florida.At that time Florida was thought to be the new "Hollywood of the East Coast" until lawmakers and Governor Jeb Bush cutoff state funds.Richard L Fox and Kevin Nunan had become close friends with the President of  the Martin County FMPTA.Faye Mckenzie who also was "itching" to get a film made on the Treasure Coast.
  The winter of 1991 I was busy in school helping a fellow classmate Marc Scarpia Direct a gimmick gag VHS in titled "Video Nag" for BMG Video in NYC.I got a call from Richard L Fox explaining "we literally have had Stuart Florida in the palm of our hands for filming anything." This comment of course got the wheels spinning in my head to shoot my thesis in South Florida. I explained to my Instructors that I would be filming my thesis in South Florida in the summer.
   As the winter turned to spring then summer, the idea of shooting a horror film in Stuart Florida started to become a reality. Richard and Kevin along with Faye Mckenzie pull in Stuart,obtained many locations along with the Stuart Police Department. I was able thru the school to obtain an Arriflex 16mm BL camera, shotgun boom,Nagra reel to reel sound recorder,and lots of film mags along with $1,500 worth of 16mm film the school rewarded me for such an ambitious project.06/23

The blog continues tomorrow were we pickup on the making of "Where Evil Lives"

   

No comments:

Post a Comment